Sickening attack: Peter Wells. Photo: South Coast Register Peter Wells racing in Sydney in November. Photo: bradleyphotos南京夜网419论坛
A man charged in connection with the alleged late-night bashing of jockey Peter Wells is believed to be an employee of a NSW race club.
A 35-year-old man has been charged over the alleged attack, which was triggered after Wells tried to intervene in a dispute between a man and his ex-girlfriend after leaving a pub in Berry in the early hours of January 3.
The champion rider said he was walking a female friend home when the pair noticed a man allegedly becoming aggressive towards the woman’s friend before trying to intervene.
Wells, who tips the scales at 53kg, was allegedly knocked unconscious by a single blow.
Wells suffered serious facial injuries after the alleged attack, including bleeding behind his eye, and has only just started to regain sight in his left eye.
He is also booked in for surgery so two plates can stabilise fractures in his face, including to his nose and eye socket.
His return to the saddle is scheduled for four and six weeks.
The charged man is due to appear in Nowra Local Court on Friday.
Racing NSW stewards have been working in conjunction with NSW Police on the case because the alleged assailant is an employee of a club under its jurisdiction.
The chief executive officer of the club in question declined to elaborate further to Fairfax Media.
“I can’t comment at this point in time but we are working with Racing NSW to reach a satisfactory outcome,” the CEO said.
It is understood the club’s management is yet to meet with the employee while it is also believed Racing NSW stewards are still waiting to question the man.
Wells, a former champion Sydney apprentice, has enjoyed a renaissance of such in recent months and rode a rare winning double at Rosehill late last year to complement his prolonged success on the provincial circuit.
He won the Kembla Grange jockeys’ title last season despite missing four months of the season with a broken kneecap.
His biggest success in the saddle came when he won The Metropolitan in 2008 on Paul Perry’s Newport, a horse he rode in the Melbourne Cup the following year.
In the days after the alleged attack he said he “was a lot happier the man took his anger out on me than anyone else there” and that he was “very, very lucky” that he walked away with just the injuries he did.
This story Administrator ready to work first appeared on Nanjing Night Net.